Sunday, December 6, 2015

How I Destashed My Once-Huge Collection

For the past several months, I have been destashing my once-huge collection and selling the destashed polishes at school. I once had 500+, but have dwindled it considerably to 200+. My end goal is to reach the double digits. I'd say 50 is a good number, but 20 is my ideal number. (Yup, never going to happen! I just know it.) A while ago, a few ladies in a facebook group I'm in requested that I should do a post on how I was able to declutter so many polishes. Since then, I have been writing this post. I wanted to make sure I hit all the points I needed to and provide actually good tips, along with my thought process throughout the decluttering. Get ready because this is going to be a long post!

Firstly, I started (and still am) watched dozens of youtube videos of people destashing polishes. The best videos are ones in which the youtuber destashed a large portion of her collection, and had no qualms about doing so. This is the most important part of destashing. You cannot be attached to your polishes if you want to downsize your collection. This is why it has literally taken me months to destash. Another thing that helped me was that destashing became easier as the process continued over time. Not to mention I felt very gratified and was earning money as I destashed.

My favorite destash video, which I have watched twice now:


My second favorite. She really goes all out, and has no regrets doing so!:




Secondly, figure out WHY you want to destash and what questions you need to ask yourself as you're picking out polishes to get rid of. It's important to also have the motivation to destash. (This may be obvious to some, but I just wanted to mention it for those who are really having a difficult time destashing.) Also, shoutout to my polish-addicted friend, Millie, for helping me remain determined throughout the process!

These were the questions I asked myself as I was going through my polishes, one by one:

1. Do I like the color?
2. Is it a good formula?
3. Will I wear it more than twice?
4. Does it give off the same effect as another polish I have, but like more?
5. Does it have any kind of significance? (i.e. was a gift or a remembrance of a day, outing, or period of time)

For polishes I ended up giving away even though I thought it was really pretty or had some kind of significance, I made cabochons out of them. I'm going to display them in a glass container once I have my own place. So, it's like I still have those polishes with me. (I bought the cabochons from etsy.)

Thirdly, give yourself time. This is not something you can rush into and finish quickly. I've decluttered before with this mindset, but it has never worked (for me at least). I always ended up restashing many or all of the polishes I destashed.

Finally, accept yourself for wanting to destash and every destashing decision you make. Otherwise, all is for naught.

TL;DR:

1. Mentally prepare yourself to destash by watching people destash.
2. It can help to have a friend who understands the addiction of nail polish and can keep you motivated throughout the process.
3. Figure out your own requirements on whether or not a polish stays.
4. Take your time. I cannot stress this enough. Time plays a huge factor in loosening your attachments and increasing the ease and need (the "mindset") of destashing.
5. Be okay with yourself and your decisions. Throughout my destash I have restashed and destashed, sometimes the same polishes too. And that's okay. You just need to constantly keep your end goal in mind.

I really hope this helps you if you're on a destashing journey!

As always, thanks for reading! See you on the other side of the day!

Michelle

No comments:

Post a Comment