Thursday, December 6, 2012

Pastel Galaxy Nails and Pastel Skittles

Saturday night was Girls' Night! My roommate and I held a nail polish party that lasted from 8:30 pm to around 4 am! My friend from the-nail-smith came over for some nail art fun! No regrets! It was GREAT fun and stress-relieving! And don't worry, we didn't inhale polish fumes the whole night. There was lots of getting to know each other (two foreign exchange acquaintances came~), some gossip, manga, snacks, and Nail Pro magazines. I'd really like to do it again sometime! :D

Anyway, I was feeling quite confident and decided to do a pastel galaxy mani (on my left hand). Yeah, I was lazy... And I also didn't know how it would turn out since I've never even done a "normal" galaxy mani before! (By the way, this post is quite wordy!)


Pastel Galaxy Nails

Since it was my first time doing any sort of galaxy mani, I tried to follow a tutorial. I ended up just doing whatever I wanted! Le sigh. However, there was a template for how I achieved this look.

Polishes I used: Sephora by OPI Havana Dreams, Sally Hansen Yellow Kitty, China Glaze Peachy Keen, Sinful Colors Easy Going, China Glaze Re-fresh Mint, Essie Lilacism, Sinful Colors Snow Me White, and China Glaze Fairy Dust

Tools I used: The second smallest dotting tool and a small nail art brush

1. I painted on around 3 coats of Havana Dreams, a light blue, for my base and a fast dry topcoat to speed up the drying process. If you're using a somewhat sheer polish as your base, don't worry about any patchiness since it will be covered up when you're sponging on the galaxy.
2. I sponged Yellow Kitty, a light yellow, at the center of my nails.
3. I sponged on Peachy Keen, an orange-toned peach, at the corner of the yellow. I did it very carefully because it was such an opaque and relatively dark color. Be careful not to cover up the yellow.
4. I sponged Easy Going, a pale pink, near the yellow and on other areas that I think needed it.
5. I sponged Re-fresh Mint, a mint, onto areas near the light blue base.
6. I sponged Lilacism, a light liac, onto areas near the pale pink.
7. I used my second smallest dotting tool and a small nail art brush to make some stars. (Be careful not to go overboard with the stars.) I used my friend's Snow Me White, a white.
8. After waiting for the mani to dry a little bit, I applied 1 coat of Fairy Dust. I found that one coat worked best because it lets the mani retain its delicacy. Two coats would also slightly obscure the galaxy.
9. I finished off with a quick dry topcoat.

Throughout this mani, I went back and used whatever colors and sponged them onto whatever areas I thought needed more umph. Don't be frightened to do galaxy nails! I found them to be very fun to do!


Pastel Skittles

As you can see, I was quite lazy. I (or rather my friend, the-nail-smith) did a skittle mani on my right hand. Again, I used Sephora by OPI Havana DreamsSally Hansen Yellow KittyChina Glaze Peachy KeenChina Glaze Re-fresh MintEssie LilacismSinful Colors Snow Me White, and China Glaze Fairy Dust and a small nail art brush for the stars in the lower left.

What do you guys think? Willing to try pastel galaxy nails?

See you guys on the other side of the day!

Michelle

P.S. Check out my friend's tumblr, the-nail-smith! She has some great nail art! (She's currently doing the 31 Days challenge.)

1 comment:

  1. very pretty! I haven't tried this yet. Short on time these days!

    ReplyDelete